Is my husband's criminal record going to keep us from getting a liquor license?

Asked over 1 year ago - Grand Rapids, MI

We would like to open a business that sells liquor. My husband was convicted of a felony over 25 years ago and it was not alcohol related.

1. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

5

1

Answered . If he had only one crime ever, it can be expunged. Contact a skilled attorney to discuss this possibilty.

2. Jason Matthew Shinn

3

1

Answered . The approval process for liquor licenses can be demanding and very particular, so you will want to put yourself in the best possible situation to succeed. Accordingly, I agree with Mr. Klisz. You should also consult with an experienced liquor license and business attorney who will also have recommendations for structuring the business and navigating the process. In that regard, I'd be happy to discuss your situation.

3. Shawn P. Eyestone

1

Best Answer

Answered . Conviction of a felony is only one factor considered by the Michigan Liquor Control Commission, and it may not necessarily prevent you or your husband from receiving a liquor license. I agree with Mr. Shinn that you need to be extra diligent in ensuring that you take all steps necessary to increase the likelihood that your application will be approved. Below are the types of crimes other than alcohol-related that the MLCC treats more harshly. I have been able to help a number of clients with past criminal records obtain liquor licenses, and I suspect that I would be able to help you as well. Please feel free to give my office a call to set up an appointment to explore this further.
    (a) Gambling
    (b) Prostitution.
    (c) Weapons.
    (d) Violence.
    (e) Tax evasion.
    (f) Fraudulent activity.
    (g) Controlled substances