Is my husband required to carry our daughter on his health insurance past the age of 23

Asked over 1 year ago - Plainfield, IL

Is my husband required to carry our daughter on his health insurance past the age of 23 because of the new health care law (allowing parents to keep kids on their insurance till age 26). Daughter is a full-time student.

1. Elizabeth M. Feely

Pro

13

1

Answered . Assuming your are still married, then he is not required to keep her on his insurance, but has the ability to choose to maintain her on his policy. If you are divorced and your divorce decree only requires him to maintain her until the age of 23, then you would have to file a petition to modify the divorce decree to require him to maintain her on the policy. I would do immediately when she is still on the policy.

2. Dean Taradash

7

Answered . Depends ... are you still married? If yes, then no. If no, then maybe. Consult with an attorney if you're divorced.

Feel free to call. 312-987-9999 Ext. 15

3. David J. McCormick

7

Answered . If you are divorced then I agree, you need to read your divorce decree and see what age he can legally remove your daughter from his health insurance.

4. Jeffrey Morris Jacobson

4

Answered . You referred to him as husband, so either you are going through the divorce process or not divorced. Either way, without a court order requiring him to keep her on his health insurance, he is not required. If you are going through or have been divorced, then you should contact an attorney to explain in more details what your rights are.