Is my husband obligated to give me half of a lawsuit he's involved in for wrongful death of his brother since I'm his wife

Asked 8 months ago - Albany, NY

My husbands brother passed away wrongful death lawsuit is pending since Im married to the brother getting money is my husband obligated under marital status to get any of that money

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

16

Answered . No. It is not marital property.

2. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

16

Answered . No.

3. Adam L Rothenberg

Pro

16

Answered . No, the proceeds of the personal injury lawsuit on behalf of your brother in law are not marital assets and do not reflect your personal loss. If there is an economic loss that you shared with your husband, then you might have a claim.

4. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

14

Answered . Moines obtained from a deceased relative, including through a wrongful death suit , will not be considered marital property but belongs solely to the related spouse, in this case your husband. It only becomes a marital asset if your husband voluntarily shares it with you,; he is not obligated to do that.

5. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

15

Answered . No, the proceeds are not marital property.

6. Daniel David Horowitz III

14

Answered . No. You might need a divorce attorney it sounds like.

7. Brent Schafer

Pro

13

Answered . No.

8. James Otto Heiting

Pro

13

Answered . The proceeds would be for his personal and separate loss independent of your marriage and are his separate property

Pro

12

Answered . No

10. David Ian Schoen

Pro

10

Answered . I believe you asked a different version of this question before. You have obviously elected not to live with your husband so why are you scheming to find ways to take his money?

11. Philip Anthony Fabiano

11

Answered . no. You might acquire an interest if the proceeds are deposited in some type of joint account with you. You would need to discuss this with your divorce lawyer since it appears that is where you are or are heading.

12. Richard Marc Katz

Pro

11

Answered . It depends upon the community property laws in your state. Consult a local attorney.

13. Dennis M. Abrams

Pro

7

Answered . No, it is his money, and not generally marital property.

14. Andrew T. Velonis

3

Answered . Assuming that the lawsuit is successful, the first issue is whether your late brother-in-law had dependents. If so, they will recover for loss of support. Any verdict or settlement for pain and suffering becomes property of the estate. If your husband is a beneficiary of the estate, then his inheritance is his seperate property, and you have no share in it.