Is my husband entitled to have court appointed counsel to file motion 2255, if we don't have money to pay an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My husband is a federal prisoner, a legal resident, and his attorney lied to him about several things, then abandoned his case after he took the plea deal that she said he had to take, and returned to being a prosecutor. She failed to appear at his sentencing hearing . She also failed to inform him that accepting the deal would mean an automatic deportation. We have been married for 22 years and he had no prior criminal history. I have had trouble finding an attorney here in Houston that handles post conviction relief and the ones that I have found charge a lot just to look at his case.

1. Robert David Richman

3

1

Answered . First, if your husband did not have an attorney at his sentencing, that is a serious problem. In addition, his attorney should have told him at least generally that his conviction could result in deportation. Unfortunately, there is no right to court appointed counsel on a 2255. He may have to file the petition pro se, raising the issues as best as he can, and ask the court to appoint counsel. If the court thinks the claim may have merit, the judge can appoint counsel. The appointed counsel can then supplement the petition if necessary or file a memorandum in support.

2. Steven Andrew Brody

3

Answered . There is generally no constitutional right to representation by counsel in a habeas corpus proceeding, but the court is empowered, within its discretion, to appoint counsel to assist a petitioner in preparing his petition. This is because a habeas corpus proceeding is civil in nature, and Sixth Amendment right to counsel afforded for criminal proceedings does not apply.

However, appointment only happens when the interests of justice require it (if there's going to be a court hearing, for example) or when there is an unusual legal question at play. So, your husband can apply to be appointed counsel, or, if you get someone to look at his case and they find a novel legal issue or something they thing would justify appointment of counsel then they can apply to be paid by the court to represent him. The factors generally considered are "the legal complexity of the case, the factual complexity of the case, and the petitioner's ability to investigate and present his claims, along with any other relevant factors." (29 F.3d 469).

If your husband was not advised of the immigration consequences of his plea, then he may have a good issue, but not a very novel one, unfortunately.

My advice is to consult with an attorney although of course I understand that can be expensive.

Best of luck!

3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

Answered . I am going to move this to the federal criminal law section so some lawyers who do a lot of federal law will be more likely to answer.