Skip to main content

Is my Green Card still valid now after being out of the USA for almost 9 months?

Houston, TX |

I have been out of the USA for nearly 9 months now spending some much needed time with my family up in Canada. I have not worked up here at all. I still have a Valid US state driver's license, valid US state vehicle insurance, US phone number and phone plan, etc. Although I moved 90% of my stuff with me to Canada, I did not set up residency here. Will I have problems returning to the USA now? Is my green card still valid? How do I go about coming back down to the USA (do I need any paper work, etc)?

Attorney Answers 2


Upon return to the U.S., you should be clear that you never intended to abandon your residency. The inspecting officer may refer you to Immigration Court if he/she is not convinced of your intent. Contact a lawyer to assist you.

Best of luck.

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Dallas, TX

Mark as helpful


More than likely there will be a rebuttable presumption that you abandoned it. I suggest you speak with and retain an immigration attorney.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics