Is my Green Card still valid now after being out of the USA for almost 9 months?

Houston, TX |

I have been out of the USA for nearly 9 months now spending some much needed time with my family up in Canada. I have not worked up here at all. I still have a Valid US state driver's license, valid US state vehicle insurance, US phone number and phone plan, etc. Although I moved 90% of my stuff with me to Canada, I did not set up residency here. Will I have problems returning to the USA now? Is my green card still valid? How do I go about coming back down to the USA (do I need any paper work, etc)?

Upon return to the U.S., you should be clear that you never intended to abandon your residency. The inspecting officer may refer you to Immigration Court if he/she is not convinced of your intent. Contact a lawyer to assist you.

Best of luck.

Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Dallas, TX

More than likely there will be a rebuttable presumption that you abandoned it. I suggest you speak with and retain an immigration attorney.

Recommended articles about Immigration