Is my Green Card still valid now?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Houston, TX

I have been out of the USA for nearly 9 months now. I have not worked up here at all just simply spent time with family. I still have a Valid US state driver's license, valid US state vehicle insurance, US phone number and phone plan. Although I moved 90% of my stuff with me to Canada, I did not set up residency here. Will I have problems returning to the USA now? Is my green card still valid?

1. Leonard John D'Arrigo

Answered . If you are outside the U.S. for more than 180 days and you seek reentry into the U.S., the border officer can make a finding that you've abandoned your green card status. This is why it is important to file an application for a reentry permit for extended absences. Upon your return to the U.S, you should be prepared to show remaining ties to the U.S. You should consult with an immigration attorney to come up with a plan.

_________________________________________
    Leonard J. D'Arrigo, Esq.| Whiteman Osterman & Hanna LLP
    One Commerce Plaza | Albany, New York 12260
    518.487.7642 | fax: 518.487.7777 | ldarrigo@woh.com