Is my girlfriend legally responsible for her 18 yr old nephew who came to stay with us?

Horn Lake, MS |

My girlfriend's nephew showed up on our doorstep a few days ago after his mom moved back to Texas. His dad just got in a car wreck and is still in the hospital and is paralyzed from the waist down. ( He's been in the hospital for two months). Her nephew just turned 18. His mom left him her car but he has no drivers' license and the insurance has lapsed. Is my girlfriend responsible for him - legally ? Like, if he gets in a car wreck and causes property damage or worse, kills someone, can she be sued? It will take weeks to get his birth certificate and social security card, and the insurance will be $120 per month (to get him legal)! I'm worried that she is responsible! Is he considered an adult and not a minor anymore? Please help! Thank you ! He won't stop driving the car!

1. No, there is no adoption, guardanship and he is an adult. but if he uses her car and gets in an accident she could be responsible.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.