Is my girlfriend legally responsible for her 18 yr old nephew who came to stay with us?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Horn Lake, MS

My girlfriend's nephew showed up on our doorstep a few days ago after his mom moved back to Texas. His dad just got in a car wreck and is still in the hospital and is paralyzed from the waist down. ( He's been in the hospital for two months). Her nephew just turned 18. His mom left him her car but he has no drivers' license and the insurance has lapsed. Is my girlfriend responsible for him - legally ? Like, if he gets in a car wreck and causes property damage or worse, kills someone, can she be sued? It will take weeks to get his birth certificate and social security card, and the insurance will be $120 per month (to get him legal)! I'm worried that she is responsible! Is he considered an adult and not a minor anymore? Please help! Thank you ! He won't stop driving the car!

1. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

1

Answered . No, there is no adoption, guardanship and he is an adult. but if he uses her car and gets in an accident she could be responsible.