Is my fiance's crime considered moral turpitude? (Assault)

Asked about 1 year ago - Virginia Beach, VA

My fiance from the UK was in a bar fight when he was 21. He threw a bottle at the other guy, and it hit him, but did not harm him. He pled guilty and only received 100hrs community service. Is this considered moral turpitude? I don't know much more about his case, we are waiting for police records to get the specifics, but I'm wondering if anyone can give us an idea with all this!

1. Peter Anthony Jabaly

Pro

3

Answered . Really depends on the facts, charge and conviction. Assault will not usually be considered a CIMT, but the circumstances can change that. Consult with an attorney to get an answer regarding this.

2. William Peter Daley

3

Answered . I'm just wondering why it is that you are concerned whether not this crime is considered one of moral turpitude? Is he considering going to law school? This information might be of some benefit to other attorneys who are looking to assist you in answering this question.

http://lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com

3. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Your question seems to me to obviously be geared toward the immigration law significance attached to a crime involving moral turpitude, in immigration law parlance a CMIT. As you have directed your question to the criminal defense attorneys participating here, I will offer my own opinion that it is probably not a CMIT based upon the limited description you posted, but I think you need the input of those here who specialize in immigration law. I am accordingly going to edit the Practice Area of your question to "Immigration". Good luck

4. Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Pro

1

Answered . You have asked this question twice in another section. Please reference the other section for my answer.

5. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

2

Answered . Likely not

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.