Is my Fiancé my household member by legal definition?

New York, NY |

Is it true that after getting our "Marriage License" (not Marriage Certificate yet), my boyfriend will be officially my Fiancé who is considered legally my "household member"?

For a residential lease, sure. For tax purposes, no. For insurance purposes, check your contract.

Thanks Peter! If we jointly apply to buy a low income housing unit in NYC, can I and my finace submit our application as 1 household? Because we will get our "Marriage Certificate" after the application deadline. We only have our "Marriage License" before the deadline. Will our joint submission considered to be valid as 1 household? Thanks!

Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Peter Christopher Lomtevas

It should because NYCHA is bound by housing law of the city which allows you at the very least a "roommate" to reside with you. However, if they deny you accommodations, don't jump to sue. They may need time to find suitable accommodations for you and your soon-to-be new spouse.

Thanks!

It depends upon for what purpose.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

He is a household member except where explicitly excluded.

State, local, and municipal law topics