Skip to main content

Is my exhusband entitled to 1/2 of the property taxes that were paid out of escrow when I sold our rental?

Citrus Heights, CA |

My ex and I own a rental which I have been living in for a year. Due to the economy I had to sell, The last property tax increment had to be paid through escrow because I didnt have the money to pay them. Now my exhusband is demanding half of what was paid for the property taxes because he said half of what was paid was taken out of his share so he says I owe him. Is he correct

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you and he each own half, you and he are each responsible for half the taxes. It seems fair to pay all taxes out of escrow so that you each paid half. Unless the divorce stated you were to pay all the taxes, you do not owe him anything.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


Unless your divorce decree states otherwise, I don't believe you are legally obligated to pay him. Paying him would probably be the fair thing to do, but I don't think that is what you are asking.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer