Is my equity protected after a voluntary home sale with a declared homestead?

Chatsworth, CA |

I am currently selling my house and have a declared homestead on the property. I am wondering if the equity of this voluntary sale is protected even though I am not going through a bankruptcy or have judgement on my property? Lastly, after the home sells, if I were to file bankruptcy would the equity that is exempt in a declared homestead still be protected?

Your equity (up to the proper homestead amount) is protected in a voluntary sale, which is the primary benefit of a declared homestead. Once you turn those proceeds into cash, they must be reinvested in a new residence to remain protected. For example, if you file bankruptcy 2 months after selling your home, you'd have to reinvest the proceeds in a new house within 4 months or the bankruptcy trustee could demand their turnover.

Good luck!

Rob

2. Your question is confusing. The homestead is to protect you against creditors. If you are selling and have no creditors, there's nothing to protect. And, if you sell the home and then file for bankruptcy, there's no equity to protect. So, I'm really not sure what you're asking.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

3. You haven't indicated what you're wanting to protect the equity from.
    But the proceeds of a sale are only protected by the exemption for six months ... and then only if they are reinvested in another home.

4. Yes, your proceeds will be protected, up to the amount of the allowable homestead exemption, whether you are filing bankruptcy or not. Further, under California Code of Civil Procedure § 704.720(b), the homestead proceeds will remain protected for 6 months after receipt, even if you file a BK during that time. But if the homestead exemption is applied to other property during that period, then the proceeds are no longer exempt.

5. As has been pointed out, a declared California homestead will exempt the net proceeds from a voluntary sale up to 6 months provided the funds are reinvested in a new homestead. See In re Jacobson, 676 F. 3d 1193 (9th Cir. April, 2012). Filing a bankruptcy during that 6 month period before you had reinvested the proceeds would be very risky. If you were unable to buy a new home because of the bankruptcy, and the 6 months expired, the chapter 7 trustee could claim all of the sale proceeds. This is precisely what happened in the Jacobson case.