Is my entire private LTD insurance overpayment debt dischargeable?

Asked about 3 years ago - Simi Valley, CA

Receiving private ltd payments before and after filing chapter 7 in California. Insurance company now stating overpayment due to SSI benefits. Is this dischargeable debt?

1. John Gerth Merna

Pro

1

Answered . I agree. Whether the overpayment is dischargeable would depend on when the overpayment occurred and whether you listed the debt. To be dischargeable the overpayment would have to have occurred prior to the filing of your bankruptcy and you would have had to list the insurance company.

Check you policy to see if they have the right to offset against future payments due.

2. Marco Antonio Torres

Pro

Answered . Notwithstanding the earlier comments, the LTD overpayments may become non-dischargeable if they were the result of fraud and/or misrepresentation which would have to be adjudicated by way of the insurance company creditor commencing an adversarial proceeding to make the amount non-dischargeable.

3. Nicholas I Fuerst

Answered . Over payments received after filing are not part of bankruptcy and can be recovered. Did you list insurance company in bankruptcy,if not the debt might not go away. If listed creditor has 60 days afte 341 hearing to sue for fraud.