Professional legal advice for $39.

Avvo Advisor
Talk to a lawyer

Is my employers evidence poor?

i have been suspended and i am attending a hearing next. The allegation is discrepancy between the hours claimed to have worked and actual hours worked. i deny this. The only evidence they have sent me is a copy of my time sheet with extra columns to say when they say i arrived and left.. . but no name or signature with the times, and i know there wasn't always people present when i arrived and left, also some of the times they have put are not accurate eg: she came in after 1pm. There are many mistakes in the report eg: the date 13/33/2014? Is this good enough evidence .?

Long Beach, CA -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (3)

Neil Pedersen

Neil Pedersen

Employment / Labor Attorney - Irvine, CA

"Good enough" is a relative term. Good enough for what? You do not describe the kind of hearing you are going to attend. Union grievance? Unemployment compensation hearing?

If there is one person willing to testify that the documents relied upon by the employer are accurate, that is enough for them to use the documents. Your testimony will have equal weight. Some person will have to decide who is right. There is no way to tell you what result will occur based on the facts you have provided.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
Brad S Kane

Brad S Kane

Employment / Labor Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

An employer can take an adverse employment action, including termination of an employee, for any reason or no reason as long as the action was not motivated by a prohibited reason such as discrimination based upon age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, military service, disability, etc.

As a result, the employer does not have to be "right" in deciding to terminate an employee for misconduct or prove the misconduct to the employee's satisfaction.

William Nicholas Blasser

William Nicholas Blasser

Consumer Protection Attorney - Diamond Bar, CA

Your question is a bit vague inasmuch as it does not specify what sort of "hearing" you are attending. Is the employer trying to "take back" wages it paid you in the past for work it now says you never performed? Or are you trying to recover unpaid wages from your employer? Is this a court hearing, an administrative hearing, or a union hearing? All of that is very important to answer your question. In general, however, the employer will probably need to present testimony from a person who created the time sheet or who is qualified to say it was created in the ordinary course and scope of business. You can offer your own testimony concerning the accuracy of the time sheets and the person presiding over the hearing will then decide who has more credible evidence. If you can produce any third party testimony (e.g., a co-worker who worked on the dates and times the employer says you were working) stating the time sheet records are inaccurate that will obviously help you greatly. I hope this answer helps and I wish you well. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this further. I will provide you with a free consultation if you would like.


William Blasser


Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.