Is my employer required to pay for damage or my car insurance deductible for accident while travelling to a work meeting?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I was travelling for an appointment when a semi tire tread came out from under the semi truck in front of me. It did $1600 damage. I have personal car insurance with $500 deductible. Is my employer required to at least pay my deductible?

1. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

5

Answered . If you were driving a company car, your employer will take care of the deductible. If you were driving your car. The other party is responsible for all your damages. If he got away then you have to turn it to your own insurance. and I am afraid pay for your own deductible. Best of luck.

2. Albert Lee Crosner

4

Answered . I concur with Attorney Juarez.

3. Vincent Paul Tolisano

Pro

2

Answered . I want to first ask whether or not you have an agreement with your employer regarding traveling to and from meetings and also whether you are compensated for travel?

4. Brian Christopher Hogan

Pro

2

Answered . I do not think so. Normally, damage to a personal vehicle is not covered by your employer but would be covered by the insurance company of the negligent trucker, which caused the damage. I would have to hear more details regarding your position with your company to give a most concise answer.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

2

Answered . Your employer is not responsible for your vehicle.

Pro

2

Answered . Yep

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . No he is not.However, did you obtain the identity of the trucking company and file a claim against them? Did you report the incident to the police? If the truck took off and you were not able to identify it, you may well have a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage, which generally does not have a high deductible, if any. You should review your insurance policy to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage which will pay for property damage.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  8. Seth S. Gaskins

Pro

1

Answered . You're in a particularly sticky situation because you did not get the trucker's policy information. It never hurts to ask your employer to cover at least your collision deductible since you were engaged in a work activity. Good luck. I see these tire tread issues all the time. They can cause severe injuries in some circumstances. Glad you're OK.