Is my employer in violation of EEOC laws?

Columbus, OH |

I work for a college, which may or may not be important. In my department, there are two supervisory positions, the director and the assistant director. Recently, the director retired, and the assistant director was promoted, which makes perfect sense to me. However, the assistant director job was simply handed to one of my co-workers. The job was never posted, and no interviews were ever held. Since this college is a public institution and an EEOC, is this a legal practice? Perhaps the laws are different for supervisory positions, but it seems to me that not allowing any interested employee to apply for an open position is not an equal opportunity.

In some public employment, there are formal policies, procedures and rules that require posting of promotional opportunities. In other such employment, there are collective bargaining agreements with one or more unions that compel posting in the circumstances you described. But the law does not impose a general requirement for such posting. If there are no enforceable polices and no union agreements, then the employer is likely not required to post a vacant position before selecting a current employee to move into that position.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

I agree with Ms. McCall -- excellent points.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes