Is my daughter's father automatically on the birth certificate?

Asked 4 months ago - Cuyahoga Falls, OH

My daughter's father and I went through court several years ago and paternity was established. I never saw anything stating that he was added to the birth certificate, so the only certificate I have only has my name on it. Does establishment of paternity automatically add the father to the birth certificate?

1. Bradley Reeves Harp

Answered . When a court establishes paternity, the court order may order that the birth record be updated (see Ohio Revised Code section 3111.13). In my experience, when a court addresses paternity the court does send the order with the form (called an HEA 3029) to change the birth record to the Ohio Department of Health to have the birth record updated. You can also obtain birth records from the Ohio Department of Health or any local health department.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . No, he has to go where the records are kept with a court order for them to put him on the birth certificate.