Is my commercial lease valid?

My dad's friend used to own a building and he asked my dad to rent a space. No contract signed everything was oral. My dad stayed at the building and ran his business and paid his friend/owner a monthly rent of $5000. After 4 years, the owner said he needed to sell the building so my dad needed to retroactively sign the lease. He said it's only formalities, and that he spoke with the new owner and that the new owner would not raise rent. Without reading the contract (my dad can't speak english), he signed the contract. The new owner comes in and says the rent has been increased to $6500 according to the contract. My dad has been paying $6500 until now but he wants to get out of the contract. What can he do? Can he just give notice and leave the building? Is the contract valid?

1. Normally, a person is charged with knowledge of the contract that they sign. However, your father may be able to get out of the contract, because it was not presented to him in the language that it was negotiated.

2. It is probably valid, but would have to be fully reviewed to see if there is a way to get out of it. He cannot just give notice and leave the building, unless the lease allows it.

3. Your father should consult a lawyer familiar with the in and outs of commercial leases to negotiate and end to his tenancy. Good luck.

My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>

Landlord-tenant law topics