Is my child who born abroad before I got USA citizenship eligible for citizenship?I stayed more than 5 years in us before birth.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hamtramck, MI

he was born by 7 months before i got usa citizenship. i want to get passort for him from the usa embassy

1. Heather Louise Garvock

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . I believe more information is necessary to give you an accurate information. What about the child's other parent? Are they a United States citizen? Was your child already admitted to the United States as an LPR when you naturalized? Citizenship acquisition and conveyance can be a bit complicated, so it may be easier to call an attorney. The attorney may be able to give you an answer after a brief consultation.

2. Janice Ann Flynn

4

Answered . You may be able to convey US citizen to your child who was born after you acquired US citizenship through naturalization if the child was under the age of 18 at the time you naturalized. In addition, the child must be lawfully in the US residing as in permanent residency status. This means that you will need to sponsor your child for an immigrant visa and then once the child enters as a permanent resident they may immediately apply for a US passport.

www.usvisasolutions.co.uk

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . You cannot get him a US passport at the US embassy, as you were not a US citizen when he was born. He needs to be in the US in order to naturalize.