Is my brother's estranged wife entitled to his inheritance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

They were legally separated a few years back and remained separated until his death.
It was stated in the separation papers that she would not be entitled to his inheritance.
Now, after he has passed, he has become the beneficiary of an inheritance. He did not
have a will. Who is entitled to the inheritance?

Additional information

There were no children.
There are adult siblings.
Parents are deceased.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Someone needs to review the paperwork in detail. It *sounds* like the spouse is not entitled to anything. So the question would be who the heirs are, since there was no Will. The Wife would not take, based on the agreement. Did your brother have children? If not, are your parents alive? If not, then the siblings would appear to be the heirs. I believe that this is a complicated enough situation that you really should invest in an hour or two of attorney time.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  2. Kelly Scott Davis


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You would need to provide more information and documents to get an answer. As Attorney Frederick's response demonstrates, what you have provided raises more questions than answers. You should gather the information and make an appointment with a probate attorney.

  3. Matthew Erik Johnson

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As the others mention this is a "likely no", but

    Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,556 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,556 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering