Is my boss required to keep my insurance going?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hibbing, MN

I am from MN and Mon May 6,2013 will be my last day of employment with my existing employer. I figured I would need Cobra Ins. for the months of June and July before my new employment ins. kicks in, but my boss sent me a note that I will also have to pay for Cobra for May. I have worked May 1-3 and will be working on the 6th. Does working any amount of time at the beginning of a month make him responsible for my insurance? While employed it has been his policy that we pay 1/3 when working and he pays 2/3. If we are laid off we pay 2/3 and he pays 1/3. I am not being laid off, I gave him notice that I am leaving for other employment. It would be nice and save me a couple of bucks if he had to still pay 2/3.

1. Mary Joki Ebb

Answered . It depends on what the company policy or practice is regarding this. If the company has historically paid benefits for employees who have left under circumstances similar to yours, then they should pay yours as well.