Is my apartment illegal if I don't have an electric or gas meter, and my heat is controlled by the apt upstairs?

Newark, NJ |

My husband and I recently rented an apartment in a house for us and our children. After we moved in we went to switch the electric into our names but were told by the electric company that the meter was not on because the city had to come out and inspect. The people above us just moved out, and the heat in our bedroom won't turn on because upstairs heat is off. On top of that all the homes on our block our one family homes, and Im not sure that this house was zoned to have 2 seperate apartments. Could you please give me some insight and advice on what steps I should take? Thank you

First, you can contact the town to find out if this is a legal 2 family home. The township will also be able to tell you if there are outstanding violations at the property. If it is an illegal apartment, you may be entitled to relocation fees from the landlord.

Second, you should have your own meter unless your landlord is adding extra charges for utilities to your monthly rent.

MARY TOM, ESQ.
HUNZIKER, JONES & SWEENEY, P.A.
Wayne Plaza II
155 Route 46 West
Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone No. (973) 256-0456
Fax No. (973) 256-4784

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. For legal advice, please contact and retain an attorney of your own choosing.

Landlord-tenant topics