Skip to main content

Is my apartment building rent controlled?

Jersey City, NJ |

I live in an apartment building that was built in the 1800's (it is considered a landmark or something because the owner has to get permission to change windows, etc) and it used to be a school. In 1984 the building was converted from a school to a 50 unit apartment building. The management company told me the apartment was rent controlled, but the Rent Control Board says it is not b/c it was converted from a school to apartment building. Which is accurate? How can I find out for certain if the building is rent controlled? It is important for me to know to see if the rent increase I have to pay is legitimate.

Attorney Answers 2


As a starting point, you should call City Hall in Jersey City to find out what the rent control ordinances say and get a copy of the ordinances from the township directly. The rules will specifically state what type of structure is governed by the ordinances. The fact that the building may have some historical value is not really relevant, unless the township's rent control ordinances address that.

Good luck.

Wayne Plaza II
155 Route 46 West
Wayne, NJ 07470
Phone No. (973) 256-0456
Fax No. (973) 256-4784

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. For legal advice, please contact and retain an attorney of your own choosing.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You should contact the Jersey City Rent Leveling board, which are located at 30 Montgomery Street and ask if the building is subject to rent control. If it is not subject to rent control, your landlord can reasonably increase the rent. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics