Is my apartment building rent controlled?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

I live in an apartment building that was built in the 1800's (it is considered a landmark or something because the owner has to get permission to change windows, etc) and it used to be a school. In 1984 the building was converted from a school to a 50 unit apartment building. The management company told me the apartment was rent controlled, but the Rent Control Board says it is not b/c it was converted from a school to apartment building. Which is accurate? How can I find out for certain if the building is rent controlled? It is important for me to know to see if the rent increase I have to pay is legitimate.

1. Mary Tom

1

Answered . As a starting point, you should call City Hall in Jersey City to find out what the rent control ordinances say and get a copy of the ordinances from the township directly. The rules will specifically state what type of structure is governed by the ordinances. The fact that the building may have some historical value is not really relevant, unless the township's rent control ordinances address that.

MARY TOM, ESQ.
    HUNZIKER, JONES & SWEENEY, P.A.
    Wayne Plaza II
    155 Route 46 West
    Wayne, NJ 07470
    Phone No. (973) 256-0456
    Fax No. (973) 256-4784

2. Joseph M Ghabour

1

Answered . You should contact the Jersey City Rent Leveling board, which are located at 30 Montgomery Street and ask if the building is subject to rent control. If it is not subject to rent control, your landlord can reasonably increase the rent. Good luck.