Is mileage tax deductible for an independent contractor?

Portland, OR |

I work at a barber shop. I dictate my own hours and use my own equipment/supplies and pay rent (40% of gross revenue received at the shop). If I consider my apartment my home office, can I claim the mileage driving to meet clients at the shop?

1. This is really more a question for an accountant than a lawyer. My understanding is that in general, there is a deduction you can claim when self-employed for miles traveled for work, but that it doesn't apply to your commute to and from your workplace. If you drove to meet clients at their homes or elsewhere, you could claim that mileage. But ask your accountant to be sure.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com