Is mediation required for divorce in fayette co. ga. 30215

Fayetteville, GA |

my attorny is telling me that mediation is required in ga. is there any way to get out of it if both sides agree they won't agree on anything?

Counties, and Judges within each County, differ but more and more, if not most, require mediation prior to a final hearing. Some Courts are even requiring mediation before a temporary hearing. If your attorney is indicating that mediation is required, I would recommend you follow his guidance. Also, even though it may seem like there is nothing you are able to agree on now, that may not be the case when it comes time for mediation. The other very very thing to keep in mind is that mediation is a way for you and your spouse to figure things out -- or at least some things (you can have a partial settlement) -- rather than letting a Judge decide for you. While it is hard to agree sometimes, many believe that it is still a better option than having a 3rd party who really doesn't know much about you or your life, ie the Judge, decide for you.

Certain counties, including Fayette, require mediation.

Listen to your lawyer, and don't assume nothing will come of it. I am often amazed in my practice how many cases I though couldn't be mediated actually get settled at mediation, and even where they aren't fully settled, sometimes some of the issues are, simplifying trial.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

I agree with the other attorney's. Mediation is required in Fayette County. Mediation is a time for you to give input as to how the marital estate is to be divided. This can be much more advantageous than a complete stranger deciding what is going to happen. You would be surprised how many people in same position as you end up resolving their case in mediation. Remember getting in front of the judge will be costly, and may require multiple trips to the courthouse.

My colleagues who have answered this question, and your own attorney, are all correct. I mediate almost every day, and most of my mediations begin with one, or both, parties saying, "This is hopeless" or "This will be a waste of time." Almost 9 out of 10 of those cases are resolved through mediation. Given the multiple issues and complexity of divorce cases, even if you do not resolve every issue at mediation, it is almost certain you will resolve some issues.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the recipient and Murphey's Law Firm, LLC or any of its principals or employees. The information contained herein is of a general nature, and based upon a cursory understanding of the operative facts. No specific action should be taken based upon this information without first consulting an attorney who can make a full investigation and provide a thoughtful and fully researched opinion.