Is making statement like this against the law?

Asked over 1 year ago - Frisco, TX

PTI’s Dallas chapter is consisting on corrupt and malicious workers and it is not hidden from the Dallas community. PTI wants to throw out all their honest and hard worker members of the party so that the “malicious” party workers can perform all kinds of ‘hanky panky’ and send to their headquarter a report of “All Good”.

They have now added this "I am standing by my words that were communicated through email on PTI and its Dallas leadership. So, as long as the e-mail is concerned, it was my e-mail and I own it. If it has hurt anyone, he should contact me, as I stand by my e-mail that these people are corrupt, morally and on money matters. I had evidences and proofs including so called PTI Dallas President’s pictures in lockups for his drunk driving. I have with me PTI Dallas member’s e-males that tell the tales of their corruption." Can I sue them for libel?

1. Rengin Jamal Bekhtyar

4

Answered . Sometimes it's best to recall the old "silence is golden" rule...even if it's your opinion, be cautious about what you say & who you say it to. You do not want to find yourself having to defend against a lawsuit and expending fees to do so.

Rengin Bekhtyar's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Pro

5

1

Answered . Best not to say anything, and put it behind you.

3. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

2

1

Answered . Truth is always a defense to slander and who has to prove it depends on the circumstances.

4. Don Karotkin

2

Answered . I would like to help you, but I'm confused by your post. I need answers to the following questions.

1. What is the "statement" you're referring to?

2. Who is PTI?

3. What does "consisting on corrupt and malicious workers" mean?

4. What kind of "hanky panky?"

5. Richard L. Armstrong

Pro

Answered . It is difficult to answer your question in its present form, because you don' t specify who PTI is. A legal entity can be libeled the same as an individual in Texas. However, it is not clear what the email author meant by "is consisting on corrupt and malicious workers...". If PTI elected to sue for libel, it would bear the burden of showing that (a) the meaning was clear; (b) that the allegation of corrupt and malicious workers was false (difficult to do because such workers are not named) Nd (c) that such a falsehood, if proven, redounded against the organization as a whole. As for "...wants to throw out..." this is not a statement, but an imputation of a state of mind and therefore not actionable as libel.

6. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

1

Answered . If you state that it is only your opinion and or it is true, you would have a defense against those making a claim. That doesn't mean that they cannot try to sue you and make you incur the costs of defending such claims.