Skip to main content

Is mailing my I-20 part of green card through marriage package?

Chicago, IL |

I went to school for a couple of years , like 6 years ago in here but i can't find my I-20 anymore, I am married to a USC now and we are filing to adjust my status

Attorney Answers 3


The I-20 is not a make or break item . What you need is your I-94 tp show a lawful entry.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


If you are filing for adjustment of status based as an 'immediate relative' of a US citizen, you need to provide evidence that you entered the U.S. lawfully so you should submit a copy of your visa & I-94 when you file your I-485 application. It is good if you copies of your I-20 as well but even if you don't, you should be ok.

Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. The more that you have to prove your lawful status, the better. However those who are missing their I-20s should be approved as long as they have a valid I-94 and visa.

The process of filing for a marriage based adjustment can get complicated. If there is further confusion, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics