Is lying or misrepresentation grounds for termination of contract or a verbal agreement?

New York, NY |

For example, if a lawyer tells me he went to law school and is licensed but did neither, or a gardener tells me he has a visa and insurance but has neither. Would I be liable for anything if someone lies about their background?

Yes, it could be grounds for termination.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.

Yes. Of course a lawyer cannot practice unless duly licensed by the state.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury