Is leaving a 7 yr old child unattended while I sleep during the day after a night shift considered neglect or abuse

Baltimore, MD |

In our same home, she plays and watches tv while I sleep bu once went out of the house also, but has promised never to do so, wd it be considered neglect

1. It could be consider neglect because she is at risk of harm. A seven-year-old needs supervision, without it anything could happen. If she ran into the street and was harmed, protective services would investigate and could possibly remove your child from your home. You must have supervision for her safety, as well as someone to give her food, clothing and other necessities. You need to find some help. Best wishes.

2. Counsel is correct, it could be considered neglect if a 7 year old in your home is unsupervised for any length of time. I suggest you look for a sitter, neighbor or mother's helper to assist you. Best of Luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.