Is Landlord negligent or Tenant responsible for neighbors trash?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Luis Obispo, CA

My neighbor placed a great deal of debris in front of my apartment. I asked my landlord if he was going to have it moved and he wrote "now why would that be my responsibility?" Eventually I disposed the heavy debris myself. I wish there was room here for a photograph.

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

Answered . What does the lease say?

2. William Stanley Fitch

Answered . Your neighbor thanks you. Code enforcement would have been my approach and/or your landlord should have responded a little better than he did since ultimately, especially in an apartment complex, keeping the area free of accumulated trash and debris generally falls squarely on the owner/landlord.

3. Gregory L Abbott

1

Answered . The neighbor that dumped it there is responsible, now to you if you are the one who ultimately disposed of it. That said, yes, check your lease to see what it says as to who is responsible for maintaining the yard. If it is the landlord, then both the landlord and the neighbor are potentially liable to you. You perhaps should have called the police as well - dumping your trash on someone else's property without their permission is likely to be considered criminal.