Is Kentucky expungement equal to Florida's sealing of criminal record. If not, does Kentucky, at least recognize Florida seal?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Paducah, KY

Also does Kentucky recognize adjudication withhold? Is it equal to a vacated adjudication?

1. Frank Mascagni III

2

Answered . You need to sit down with a competent lawyer to answer your questions comparing the KY statutes with the FL statues in seeking an answer to your questions based on the objective of your inquiry. Good luck.

2. Jennifer L Taylor

Answered . You do not to seek competent legal counsel who is familiar with both KY & FL laws. Your question presented is very vague and I am unable to ascertain exactly what you are asking. Prior to being an attorney in KY, I practiced in FL for 4 years as a state prosecutor. I reviewed numerous petitions submitted by individuals seeking to have their record sealed or expunged.
    Sealing of a record is different than having your record expunged. The proper petition to the court depends on how your case was resolved; also, there are numerous offenses that are ineligible for seal/expunge. An attorney will be able to aid you with this.
    Florida is a one shot state. The eligibility criteria for an applicant to have a record sealed or expunged includes the requirement that the applicant be able to attest that he or she has never previously had a record sealed or expunged in Florida or in another jurisdiction. This means, in effect, that a person may only seal or expunge one arrest record in one proceeding. More than one record may be sealed or expunged in the same proceeding if the court, in its sole discretion, finds the arrests to be directly related.
    I don't understand what you are asking regarding KY-FL being equal and KY recognizing FL. You must petition the court that has jurisdiction over your case; you cannot petition KY for an offenses committed in FL and vice versa. Once a record is expunged or sealed, then the information will be transmitted to the national database for updating of your record.