Is keeping Inheritance money away from the person thats meant to have it illegal?

I have a inheritance that in the will is said to be used for education. I was told that I can use it for something other then education but the government gets a cut of it. If i request the check is it illegal to keep it from me?

South Saint Paul, MN -

Sheila Jeanne Kelly

Sheila Jeanne Kelly

Probate Attorney - Saint Paul, MN

I'm sorry but it very difficult to answer your question without seeing the Will (or perhaps Trust) document and seeing how the Trust assets are to be managed.

I am located in White Bear Lake. Please give me a call to make an appointment to review the document. Then you will have a better understanding of what you can and can't do and how you can access the assets. My number is (612) 568-8758.

The information provided is not intended as legal advice or representation. No attorney-client relationship is created between Sheila J. Kelly and any person reading this post. Laws change frequently so there is no guarantee that this information is accurate at the time you are reading it.

Roy B Henline III

Roy B Henline III

Probate Attorney - Osseo, MN

It is impossible to answer this question without reviewing the terms of the will and or trust. The terms of the trust will control under what circumstances you can access the trust funds. Similarly, knowing the source of the funds and the terms of the will or trust will help to determine whether there are any tax consequences to receiving the money.