Is judgment of divorce the actual divorce decree?

Asked about 1 year ago - North Arlington, NJ

I filed for an uncontested divorce just 2 weeks ago. My case got a judge assigned but never made it to the judge's calendar. Today I received UD-11. Last page says ENTER and has the judge's signature. Does that mean my divorce is final? Should I mail a copy of this document to my ex? Or is there a different document I should be getting from the court?

1. Andrzej Piotr Szymanski

3

Answered . Something doesn't sound right. You can't get a divorce decree 2 weeks after filing the initial complaint for divorce. You must serve a notice of the divorce, a summons attached to the complaint to give them an opportunity to respond. If you have no property or children, it doesn't matter, the other party has 35 days to respond. So in short, something is not right in your filing. Call the family law clerk to get more instruction on this. Or better yet get an attorney to save time and hassle.

2. Brad Michael Micklin

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You should consider meeting with an attorney well-versed in these areas.

Additionally, below are links to articles and information that may assist you with your issue.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
    The Micklin Law Group
    187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
    Nutley, NJ 07110
    973-562-0100
    Brad@Micklinlawgroup.com
    www.micklinlawgroup.com

3. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Consult with an attorney to review what is going on with your case. An attorney can't give you an opinion about a document without seeing it.