Is it wrong that my daughters dentist did 2 root canals and 4 veneers without my permission?

Smyrna, TN |

Took my daughter ( 3 1 / 2 ) into an appointment and signed for 2 caps and a filling . Told me to wait in lobby cause kids do better without their parents . Came back out 2 hours later and said they did 2 root canals and 4 veneers . I was so shocked at what my daughter looked like and went through I didn't know what to say . Husband went back the next day to get records and they wont give them to us . Can they do that to her without asking me first ?

1. It is necessary to see the forms that your signed before the appointment and the related medical records.

I would send a certified letter request for the records to be sent within 7 business days to your address. I would then take the records to be reviewed in person by a qualified personal injury attorney. You can find one on AVVO.

AVVO DISCLAIMER I am licensed in Minnesota only and my answers on Avvo assume Minnesota law. The answers I provide are for general information only and are NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and therefore must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interaction between an attorney and client and specific exact facts and the law. I do not retain clients without a signed RETAINER AGREEMENT. The Avvo forum does not allow for the discussion and the interaction necessary to form a complete legal analysis. Therefore the answers given to any specific question would most likely be different if there was attorney-client interaction. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such an attorney client relationship. An attorney-client relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged nor are they confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and statutory time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in the answers to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an qualified attorney for legal advice licensed in the proper jurisdiction. Finally, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

2. You absolutely have a right to the medical records in addition the consent forms you signed. Consult with an attorney and they will not have a problem getting both and evaluating them for any potential claim.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

3. Review the records. It would seem to me to be completely inappropriate for the dentist to perform the work without your consent.

4. Medical battery is when an unauthorized procedure is done. Sounds like exactly that is what happened here. My opinion? No, the dentist cannot do that without authorization. Contact a personal injury / medical malpractice attorney to discuss the specific facts. You are entitled to your daughters records so don't take no for an answer. If you need assistance, please feel free to contact me. Good luck!

This response is given solely as a general response to the question and does not create an attorney / client relationship between the questioner and responder.

5. As pointed out, if the dentist did procedures without consent, that would be medical battery and could be the basis for an action against the dentist.

It will be important to obtain the medical records and any forms you signed when she was checking in at the dentist. You have an absolute right to those records. If you need help obtaining those records and evaluating if you have a claim, I'm in your area and you may call me at (615)386-0075.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Tennessee you may contact me for a free consult.

6. Before you rush to a dental malpractice lawyer, the dentist by doing a veneer instead of a crown, was likely acting appropriately and saved most of the enamel of the tooth instead of removing the majority of the tooth for a crown, thus, I would get a second opinion from another dentist before you send him to the gallows.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com