Is it worth trying to fight a speeding ticket with the TVB?

Riverhead, NY |

I got pulled over on the LIE for doing 80 (the speed limit is 55) - its a TVB ticket. The cost of the ticket & "assessment" will be $595, 6 points on my license, and possible insurance hike - I really can not afford all that. My (nassua) co-workers said I should plead not guilty because it was the first time I was ever pulled over and I wasn't tailgating or what not.

1. Yes--plead not guilty and hire an attorney to reduce the charge, points and fine as well as to avoid the driver responsibility assessment. Best money you can spend.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

2. At the Queens TVB, there is no plea bargaining. It is either guilty or not guilty. With that said, you have nothing to lose by fighting this ticket. You will get the same points and roughly the same fine amount either way. Therefore, I recommend that you plead not guilty. Below is a link to an article that I wrote that will help you better understand the TVB system. Feel free to call me if you have any questions or need professional and experienced help.

Matthew Weiss, Esq. Weiss & Associates, PC 212-683-7373 www.nytrafficticket.com Since 1991, we make fighting traffic tickets as easy as possible.

3. Hire a local traffic court lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. You basically answered your own question. It is worth fighting and there are ways to win or sometimes minimize the damages. Obviously an attorney like myself increases tge chances of success.

5. You need to seek the help of an experienced traffic ticket attorney to help you fight the ticket. The short term pain of paying a lawyer will likely save you in the long run with the insurance hike for several years. Alternatively, you can try to fight it yourself. Unfortunately, you are not familiar with a lot of potential defenses. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

6. Plead not guilty and hire a lawyer to fight the ticket for you. Trust me, that's the best way to go about this.

Traffic tickets topics