Is it worth selling my car for an experienced dwi attorney? 2nd dwi.

My lawyer wants 1,000 down and 4,000 paid within 60 days. The only way I can make this happen is if I sell my car. I have a public defender. Should I just stick with the free public defender and keep my car? Because if we lose the case it would be an even worse situation than it is now. I'd be stuck with out a car. On the other hand, if we win the case I'd be more than happy to buy a bicycle and save up for another. I'm on disability and only make $1333.00. Thoughts?

Houston, TX -

Find Out More

Adam L Rothenberg

Adam L Rothenberg

Personal Injury Lawyer - Edison, NJ

This is a question that cannot be answered simply, it is really your choice. The PD is supposed to present a defense the same as a private attorney would. Recall that Jodi Arias and Casey Anthony had PD's. But not all PD's are created equal and neither are private attorneys. Ask the attorney what they think that they can offer that a PD cannot. Unless there is a viable defense, you probably want to think about saving your money. No one can make this choice for you and you need to weigh the options.

Gene Raymond Beaty

Gene Raymond Beaty

DUI / DWI Attorney - Plano, TX

You should talk to other lawyers about the price and what you actually need in legal services. Some attorneys are more willing than others to work with clients to create an affordable payment plan and select only the services that are needed. I really believe there is a good solution between public defender and $5000. You need to make a list, see who will talk to you on the phone and see who you can find that will work with you successfully.

Jacob Robert Jenkins

Jacob Robert Jenkins

DUI / DWI Attorney - Dallas, TX

Another thing you might want to talk about with your prospective attorneys is the condition of bond that you have an interlock device. Some courts will waive this requirement if you do not own or have access to a vehicle. Other courts may require a SCRAM, soberlink, or other more expensive devices. The monthly cost of these devices may factor into your budget, and ultimately you will have to make your own decision.

Justin Michael Lovely

Justin Michael Lovely

DUI / DWI Attorney - Myrtle Beach, SC

How much do you value your freedom and driving privileges? If you are comfortable with the public defender then stay. I do not think you are since you have been consulting with other lawyers. Weigh the pros and cons of the car and a good criminal defense lawyer. Good Luck