Is it worth selling my car for an experienced dwi attorney? 2nd dwi.

Houston, TX |

My lawyer wants 1,000 down and 4,000 paid within 60 days. The only way I can make this happen is if I sell my car. I have a public defender. Should I just stick with the free public defender and keep my car? Because if we lose the case it would be an even worse situation than it is now. I'd be stuck with out a car. On the other hand, if we win the case I'd be more than happy to buy a bicycle and save up for another. I'm on disability and only make $1333.00. Thoughts?

This is a question that cannot be answered simply, it is really your choice. The PD is supposed to present a defense the same as a private attorney would. Recall that Jodi Arias and Casey Anthony had PD's. But not all PD's are created equal and neither are private attorneys. Ask the attorney what they think that they can offer that a PD cannot. Unless there is a viable defense, you probably want to think about saving your money. No one can make this choice for you and you need to weigh the options.

2. You should talk to other lawyers about the price and what you actually need in legal services. Some attorneys are more willing than others to work with clients to create an affordable payment plan and select only the services that are needed. I really believe there is a good solution between public defender and $5000. You need to make a list, see who will talk to you on the phone and see who you can find that will work with you successfully.

3. Another thing you might want to talk about with your prospective attorneys is the condition of bond that you have an interlock device. Some courts will waive this requirement if you do not own or have access to a vehicle. Other courts may require a SCRAM, soberlink, or other more expensive devices. The monthly cost of these devices may factor into your budget, and ultimately you will have to make your own decision.

4. How much do you value your freedom and driving privileges? If you are comfortable with the public defender then stay. I do not think you are since you have been consulting with other lawyers. Weigh the pros and cons of the car and a good criminal defense lawyer. Good Luck

The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111 http://www.justiceislovely.com