Is it worth it to sue for Defamation of Character?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Clearwater, FL

I have recently found that one year ago my ex-fiance e-mailed or instant messaged every male contact in my e-mail list advising them that I have HIV. This statement is false. I have an e-mail showing that he stated he took over the e-mail account. He further went on the tell another friend (in attempt to get recent contact information) that I was involved in a hit and run accident where the individual was killed and I needed an Alliby. I am in the process of completing my Master's degree in which I want to be licensed as a mental health counselor in the state of Florida. Some of the people e-mailed are current co-workers and there may be potential that some are future employers. I know it is an expensive case to win and need to know if it is worth it. I have physical evidence so ....

1. Daniel J. Rose

1

Best Answer

Answered . It depends on the totality of the circumstances. If you feel the need to clear your name then it is worth it. You may be able to dispose of it through an injunction. The problem is he may not have any money for you to recover and the cost of pursuing these cases is quite expensive.

2. Scott Richard Marshall

Answered . The questions are how much damage has he done and what is it worth to you to clear your name? It would appear that you have a very solid case. I would be happy to discuss it with you in more detail if you would like. Feel free to contact me. Please be advised that there is a two year statute of limitations for defamation claims in Florida. If you do not bring the claim within this time frame, you will lose your right to do so.

Pro

1

Answered . Libel is publishing in print, which includes pictures, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his or her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others.
    Contact a defamation lawyer in your city for a free consultation to protect your rights and reputation.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.