Is it worth hiring a lawyer for first time DUI in Statesboro, Georgia (Field BAC: .179, no accidents/damage caused)?

Statesboro, GA |

I was trying to pick up a friend who was lost and distressed at 3 in the morning, after the the town's free DD service stops running. I'd had good bit to drink earlier, but had stopped drinking about 60-90 minutes prior to my arrest. Anyway, at some point while using my turn signal, I accidentally flipped off my headlights, and did not notice right away due to the street being very lamp-lit. I did flip them back on, but A nearby officer was already compelled to pull me over and perform a field sobriety test, leading to my arrest. I blew a .179 but I honestly question whether that was accurate.

1. Yes - it IS worth it. It is a poor economy not to do so.

2. It's definitely worth at least speaking with a lawyer, especially since most will not charge you for the initial consultation. There are many possible defenses to a DUI case, and you always have a chance at negotiating a reduction to reckless driving if it's your first offense and other factors weigh in your favor. You mentioned that you blew on a "field test"--does this mean that you blew only at the scene, or did you blow at the station after the arrest also? There are some great attorneys near statesboro that I would highly recommend. Just don't give up and take a plea before you weigh all of your options. I've talked with many people who just pled guilty to their first charge and overlooked some good defenses to their case. Best wishes to you

3. Every once in a while I will get a client that comes into the office and starts out by saying, "I know a lot about the DUI laws". I look at them and say ok tell me what you know? It is almost always the same answer. A downcast look, and then, they confess well maybe I don't know that much. It is not their fault, it is just the kind of thing you need help of a professional on. Your license and freedom are too important. Good Luck!

4. Yes, it is worth it to hire a lawyer, especially if you think the test might not be accurate. A lawyer can conduct an investigation that may turn up some compelling argument for excluding some of the State's evidence. Then you might get the charges reduced.

5. Great question! Absolutely, AT LEAST, consult with a lawyer before doing anything. I handled a DUI in Statesboro last year (for a friend of a friend) and got it reduced to a reckless driving (4 point) violation instead of a DUI where the arresting officer made a blatant mistake on an otherwise solid DUI case. Had that guy not consulted an attorney he would have a DUI today. It may be the same with you.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

6. Really? If you do not care about having a criminal conviction, no license and jail than maybe a lawyer isn't for you.

7. I'm glad you asked this question. It certainly is worth it to fight your DUI charge. Before you listen to any of your friends advise, go talk to a DUI Defense Attorney about your case. There are numerous defenses that can be discovered by an experienced DUI defense atorney. Your choice of an attorney is very important. I always recommend that when faced with a criminal charge talk to an attorney that is focused on DUI/criminal defense. Most general practitioners that handle divorces, child custody, car accidents, bankruptcy, business law and a little DUI defense on the side simply don't have the time necessary to be current in the complex area of DUI defense. Look at it this way, most DUI defense attorneys don't even charge for the initial consultation. A few final words of advise on choosing an attorney - a DUI conviction will haunt you for years to come so don't just use a low price as your reason to choose an attorney. I often say, "cheap is seldom good and good is seldom cheap". I think this advise works in everyday life and it often works when choosing professional services. Finally, choose an attorney that YOU feel comfortable with. If your initial interview is rushed and you are only given very general information about possible defenses, you are probably going to continue to be treated this way after you hire this attorney. Look for an attorney that is willing to spend time with YOU explaining YOUR situation and giving you specific information about possible DUI defenses in Your case. I hope this information has been helpful. Good luck!!!
    George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

8. Yes. You definitely NEED to at least get a consultation with a DUI lawyer. Especially if this is your first DUI in your life, there are many things a good DUI specialist attorney could try to do for you to save your driver's license from getting suspended and to protect you from the DUI conviction (and all of the negative consequences that go along with having a DUI on your record.) Good luck with this!

9. Yes, you need an attorney in that jurisdiction. First, you need an attorney to evaluate the merits of the state's case against you and to discuss/present any defenses you may have. Additionally, in that jurisdiction you will need someone to help you avoid any jail time.