Is it valid if I send an attorney a copy of a durable power of attorney. Or do I need to send an original sighed copy.

Asked over 1 year ago - Montvale, NJ

I had an attorney ask me for a power of attorney. I had sent him a signed copy notarized . Do I need to send an original out. Or is that binding and legal.

I need to settle a real estate matter with an attorney that is holding to funds to be divided between siblings. I was wondering regarding letters sent as well as phone negotiations on a settled property. Does the court or anyone need a copy of this if we can not reach an agreement.

1. Amy S Mac Isaac

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . In most cases, a copy of a Power of Attorney is acceptable; you should keep a copy of all correspondence to and from the attorney as well as a log or notebook of all conversations... This will help you keep track of the progress and will help later on if you end up in court. Any settlement or agreement for the distribution of estate funds should be in writing and approved by all parties. Good luck!

2. Lawrence A Friedman

2

1

Answered . Depends. An original POA is required if real estate is to be transferred via POA. Usually, a copy of a POA (possibly a certified POA) is sufficient for other purposes.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

3. James P. Frederick

Answered . Most POA forms that I see (and all of the ones that I prepare) contain a clause that states that "copies of this form shall be treated as originals." In almost all cases, that should suffice.

James Frederick