Is it Unlawful to Lie About the Number of Times One Has Been Previously Married on a Marriage License?

Cape Coral, FL |

Two years ago, I re-married for the eighth time to a pastor. However, after reviewing the marriage license, I discovered that our marriage license had only indicated that I had been married only 2 times, before. When I confronted my husband about this, he said that the reason why he lied about the number of times I had been previously married was because he was embarrassed by the fact that I had been married so many times before and didn't want his church to know about it. I must admit that I did not thoroughly review all of the facts listed on the license, because I was marrying a man of God and I trusted him.

However, I am now finding out so many things that he has been dishonest with me about, and I really don't know whether I can stay married to a man that I have learned that I cannot trust. My question is this: Is lying about the number of times one has been previously married considered a "material fact" on a marriage license? Does it make it null and void? I am wanting to divorce this man, so if what he did is illegal, than perhaps I might be able to persuade him to agree to a divorce quickly and quietly in light of his willful, and perhaps even unlawful, discrepency. We had no children, nor did we establish any assets, together during our marriage.

1. Please do not post the admission of a crime on a public forum like this. It makes a case so much easier for the prosecution when a criminal defendant posts information on a public forum. You did not even read the license but just signed it in front of a notary, court clerk. When you signed, you were stating that the information was true and accurate. You swore to the accuracy. I am not sure whether this will fall into an official proceeding category, but if it does, you could be charged with perjury.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

2. I agree with Mr. DeGroot, and would also suggest that you get an attorney to represent you in this divorce. You cannot threaten someone with the revelation of a crime in order to obtain results in a civil case - that is in itself another crime. However, he can't refuse to divorce you, and making a big stink about it would look bad. You should be able to get a relatively reasonable divorce without spending a fortune if you are represented by a reasonable attorney and you both act like adults during the process. Should you choose to marry again, you may want to consider having a PI do a background check on your intended and maybe getting some premarital counseling so you actually know the guy from the inside out instead of the other way around. It might make the ninth time a charm:)

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******