Is it unconstitutional to be denied Food Stamps for a drug trafficking conviction.?

Port Richey, FL |
Filed under: Criminal charges

I have a felony conviction 20 years ago for that charge. Received food stamps previously even tho I have always responded honestly to that question. They do not ask about any other crimes like murder tho. Seems unfair to pick out a particular crime and deny food to anyone.Is that even legal?

No it is not.

Why is that the only charge they penalize you for?

Absolutely not. Congress gets to set the eligibility requirements. As long as its not a race class or gender distinction, or something like that, they make the rules.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

There is no constitutional right to Food Stamps.