Is it typical to wait a month to receive a ruling from a commissioner following court?

Spokane, WA |

My husband and I went to court a month ago -- the motion was to terminate spousal support, clarification of debt and matters concerning custody. The commissioner said she would have a ruling to us the following week. That was a month ago. My attorney does not seem to think its a big deal yet it impacts my life and my child's life in a significant way. Ideas on how to compel a ruling? Can I request a judicial review at this point?

no, you need to be patient and listen to your attorney. If it were me (as your attorney) I would give it 6 weeks from hearing and then nicely and gently inquire as to when a ruling may be expected. That is really about has much as your attorney can push right now. If it goes beyond 2 months then your attorney can take more aggressive action, but you need to be careful and patient. The wheels of justice are very slow.

Legal disclaimer: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce