Is it typical to wait a month to receive a ruling from a commissioner following court?

Asked 6 months ago - Spokane, WA

My husband and I went to court a month ago -- the motion was to terminate spousal support, clarification of debt and matters concerning custody. The commissioner said she would have a ruling to us the following week. That was a month ago. My attorney does not seem to think its a big deal yet it impacts my life and my child's life in a significant way. Ideas on how to compel a ruling? Can I request a judicial review at this point?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Brita Anne Christine Long

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . no, you need to be patient and listen to your attorney. If it were me (as your attorney) I would give it 6 weeks from hearing and then nicely and gently inquire as to when a ruling may be expected. That is really about has much as your attorney can push right now. If it goes beyond 2 months then your attorney can take more aggressive action, but you need to be careful and patient. The wheels of justice are very slow.

    Legal disclaimer: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,701 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,701 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering