Is it True that the VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMENS ACT DIED? does it mean theres NO VAWA anymore?

Anaheim, CA |

what will happen to the Application I filed Last November 2012? I am worried.

It's not clear from your question just what sort of application you filed, but the status of the Federal Violence Against Women Act doesn't substantially change any state's law. Most restraining orders, divorce cases, and other domestic relations matters are governed by state law, and those judgments and orders wouldn't be voided by Congress failing to renew the VAWA.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

i filed VAWA last November 2012 i was a Victim of Domestic Violence by my ex husband, My question is Does VAWA law still exist?? what will happen to my application now are they still going to process my case since the congress failed to renew it?

Jay Bodzin

Jay Bodzin

I'm not licensed to practice in California, so I can't comment on any specific filing you made there. In Oregon, 'VAWA' isn't a noun, isn't a thing you file - there are certain types of restraining orders, which comply with the Violence Against Women Act; but such an order wouldn't be voided regardless of what happens to the Violence Against Women act itself. You should consult with an attorney in your state if you have specific questions.

Asked an answered: not dead; get active to help push for a just renewal of VAWA in 2013.

VAWA is still in effect. However, if you have submitted a self petition there may be a wait of about one year to get a decision in your case.

Recommended articles about Immigration