Is it true that political crisis and social crisis can be used as Level 1 arguments for the I 601 waiver?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I, the US citizen live in my spouse's country and I'm soon going back to USA. We have four medical extreme hardships we're going to use and huge financial hardships as well as many other arguments supported with documents. I'm wondering if the political and social crisis in the country is considered as something big? The government of the country also resigned and people have been protesting for almost a month. I want to file the waiver from abroad because of some considerations.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

8

1

Answered . Well worded question. Very impressive. Yes it is true.

2. Gintare Grigaite

8

1

Answered . Yes, country conditions may be used as one of the factors to prove hardship.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

5

Answered . The important thing to remember about the waiver is that the hardship has to flow to the qualifying relative (with certain exceptions). In the present case it is not clear what exactly your ground of inadmissibility would be, but generally remember the extreme hardship must be shown to relate to the US citizen spouse or relative. In this case, since you are speaking about medical issues you may use the specific social/political situation in the home country especially in the event it impacts your medical issues/access to treatment etc. Seek excellent immigration attorney to help you with waivers.

4. Matthew L. Kolken

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.