Is it true that if you ask an undercover police officer if they are a police officer they have to tell you?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I want to get the record set straight on this one.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

8

Answered . It is not true. Police officers are allowed to lie in the course of their work.

2. Christopher Carle Kingsley Parkhurst

Pro

6

Answered . Imagine how useless undercover work would become if that were true. Police officers often lie, use deception, obfuscation and psychological techniques to complete further investigation. So, the answer is no.

3. Michael Raymond Daymude

5

Answered . As Ms. McCall writes: It is not true. However, it is unlawful for someone not a police officer to pose or claim to be one.

4. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

5

Answered . This is one of the oldest myths around. No, they don't. Can you imagine an undercover investigation if that was the rule?

Suspected prostitute: Are you a cop?
    Cop: Darn! Yes.

Suspected Drug dealer: You're not a cop, are you?
    Cop: Aw, man! Yeah, I am. Can I still buy drugs from you?

etc.