Is it true that if you ask an undercover police officer if they are a police officer they have to tell you?

San Francisco, CA |

I want to get the record set straight on this one.

1. It is not true. Police officers are allowed to lie in the course of their work.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. As Ms. McCall writes: It is not true. However, it is unlawful for someone not a police officer to pose or claim to be one.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

3. Imagine how useless undercover work would become if that were true. Police officers often lie, use deception, obfuscation and psychological techniques to complete further investigation. So, the answer is no.

4. This is one of the oldest myths around. No, they don't. Can you imagine an undercover investigation if that was the rule?

Suspected prostitute: Are you a cop?
    Cop: Darn! Yes.

Suspected Drug dealer: You're not a cop, are you?
    Cop: Aw, man! Yeah, I am. Can I still buy drugs from you?

etc.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.