Is it true that because my finance came to the us illegally he has to stay for 10 years ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Wichita Falls, TX

I talked to an attorney today , she told me that because my fiancée came to the united states illegally he has to remain in Mexico for a total of 10 years . He came to the united states as an Infant and was recently deported . He's been in the united states for 21 years now . What should I do ?

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

6

Answered . Your husband's options will be clearer after a detailed review of his entire immigration history, and history of any criminal convictions or other negative interactions with law enforcement. Depending on all of the details, if you are a U.S. Citizen and you marry him, he might be eligible to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility. If he is granted the waiver, then he could enter the United States without needing to wait 10 years. In order to determine whether he could ask for the waiver, you need to meet with an immigration attorney.

2. Karen-Lee Pollak

4

Answered . Your attorney is correct. However, if you marry him, he may qualify for a waiver.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

4

Answered . If you and your fiancé marry, he MAY qualify for a waiver, depending on his immigration and criminal history.

4. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

4

Answered . The attorney you spoke to is correct. As things currently stand there will be 10 year bar to reentry.

However, once you are married he might be able to qualify for a waiver. An attorney would need to conduct an in-depth review to determine if that is the case.