Is it true that bad things happen when a trustee does not obey the trust deed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Port Orange, FL

Trusts

1. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

10

Answered . The trustee that does not follow the instructions in the trust could be liable for criminal actions if the actions benefit the trustee or related parties.

2. David Michael Goldman

Pro

9

Answered . I am not sure what you mean by "trust deed". I am assuming you mean the trust document. That being said, a trustee is generally obligated to follow the instructions in the Declaration of Trust. Sometimes the instruction are not clear, may be illegal, may create a conflict of interest, or may have been modified by state statutes.

All of that being said, bad things could happen if a trustee does not comply with their obligations if someone is damaged. You should review your specific situation with a lawyer who is licensed where the trust is being administered to determine what rights or obligations you have.

3. David L. Carrier

Pro

8

Answered . Q: Is it true that bad things happen when a trustee does not obey the trust deed?
    A: Yes. Terrible things.

4. Marian Audrey Lindquist

5

Answered . I agree with Attorney Carrier, bad things happen when the Trustee does not do what he or she is supposed to. I also agree with Attorney Pippen that the Trustee may be charged with criminal acts. The real problem for the beneficiaries when a Trustee steals, is that the Trustee usually spends all the money and there is nothing left for the beneficiaries to receive.