Is it too late to sue a hospital?

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

so when I was 14 I kept going to the E.R. because everytime that I got my period I would get a sharp pain on my side. all the nurses would diagnose me with was w a bladder infection and would give me medicine for it. after a few times my mother took me to my pediatrician since it wouldn't go away and my ped ordered an ultrasound to be made. between the time I got the ultrasound order and ultrasound appointment date I had to be taken to the e.r once again because of my pain that wouldn't even let me walk. my mom asked for the ultrasound to be done and after arguing back and forth they agreed to do it to come and find out I had a cyst in one of my ovaries. the cyst was too large to destroy with pills and I was scheduled for an eemergency surgery to have my ovary removed. I was a minor then b

1. Erin Marie Stratte

6

Answered . Generally, a medical malpractice action for injury or death must be brought within one year from the date the claimant discovered the negligent act, but no more than three years from the date of injury. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code ยง 340.5. You should consult an attorney to discuss the specifics of your case, as other factors may be involved in making the determination.

2. Farid Yaghoubtil

5

Answered . Generally the statute of limitations for medical malpractice in California is 1 year from the date of the injury, or 3 years if you did not know or had no reason of knowing about the injury. However, because you were a minor, the statute would not begin to run until after your 18th birthday.

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.
  3. Adrienne Patricia Allen

5

Answered . A minor (under the age of 18) must bring the action within 3 years of the date of the alleged malpractice, unless the minor was under age 6 at the time of the malpractice or unless the parent and insurance company committed fraud. We do not know how old you are now, to be able to tell you if your statute of limitations has expired.

Pro

4

Answered . Statute starts to run when you are eighteen. Call a local med mal lawyer to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com