Is it too late to serve him?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I wanted to know if its too late to serve the father of my child. I hadn't had him served by the time I went to court. The judge set a trial on merits in 2 months b/c he wasn't served.. Can I still have him served if I know where he is now? Going through a divorce in which my husband is not my daughters dad. If it is too late......what will the judge likely rule in a case like this?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Terry L. Hart

    Contributor Level 3


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, you can still serve him and should do so immediately. It is not too late. You should also retain counsel to help you sort through the paternity issues and the possibilities for getting your case resolved.

  2. Brian Douglas Walters


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In general, you should serve the other side as soon as you can. I don't understand what happened in your case - why would a Judge set a trial when a party was not served? Do you mean the divorce trial was set, and it was agreed that your husband was not the father? And I can't tell what issue you're wondering how the Judge will rule on.

    This information is not legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you don't have an attorney representing you, you need to hire one tomorrow!

    It is obvious that you desperately need legal representation.

    Please hire an attorney.

    Look on this website & hire someone.

    Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Family court and child custody cases

Family court can be the last resort for child custody disagreements when negotiation, mediation, or collaborative law fail to resolve custody disputes.

Samuel Jackson Siemon

Filing for Divorce, What to Expect

Filing for divorce can be a difficult and emotional decision but once you have decided that it must be done, what should you expect? What are the first steps? How long does it take? How... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,554 answers this week

3,084 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,554 answers this week

3,084 attorneys answering