Is it too late to re-apply for L1A visa extension?

Asked 11 months ago - Atlanta, GA

As the owner of a UK consulting company, I was granted L1A visa to set up a US subsidiary in 2005. However, when we applied for the extension in 2006, like most small companies we got an RFE , and eventual denial .
We were later advised by a new attorney that , I , ( as the owner of the company ) , should have been classified as an as an “executive” rather than as a “manager”.

We now have physical offices in the US and the company has been doing some (low volume) business and filing US taxes since 2005.. In 2006, I was granted a H1B visa and I have worked only for the UK Company since 2009. The US Company currently has no employees.

My question is – can we re-apply for the L1A extension or is there a time limit? ( If we can ,will the H1B affect a L1A petition?).

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

Answered . If your company has zero employees, I would advice you to remain on your H-1B instead.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

1

Answered . As you should have understood back few years ago, the L-1A category is not for "small operators".. Those get quickly "clobbered" again once they resurface and are doomed to be deluged with RFEs ultimately resulting with a denial. Don't waste your time and energy on a futile L-1A if the US entity has no other employees than yourself. Stick to the H-1B category instead.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . Second opinion you see. Hmm.... Not on AVVO. Hire an immigration attorney for that.