Is it too late to re-apply for L1A visa extension?

Asked 11 months ago - Atlanta, GA

As the owner of a UK consulting company, I was granted L1A visa to set up a US subsidiary in 2005. However, when we applied for the extension in 2006, like most small companies we got an RFE , and eventual denial .
We were later advised by a new attorney that , I , ( as the owner of the company ) , should have been classified as an as an “executive” rather than as a “manager”.

We now have physical offices in the US and the company has been doing some (low volume) business and filing US taxes since 2005.. In 2006, I was granted a H1B visa and I have worked only for the UK Company since 2009. The US Company currently has no employees.

My question is – can we re-apply for the L1A extension or is there a time limit? ( If we can ,will the H1B affect a L1A petition?).

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your company has zero employees, I would advice you to remain on your H-1B instead.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As you should have understood back few years ago, the L-1A category is not for "small operators".. Those get quickly "clobbered" again once they resurface and are doomed to be deluged with RFEs ultimately resulting with a denial. Don't waste your time and energy on a futile L-1A if the US entity has no other employees than yourself. Stick to the H-1B category instead.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Second opinion you see. Hmm.... Not on AVVO. Hire an immigration attorney for that.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,607 answers this week

3,220 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,607 answers this week

3,220 attorneys answering